Casey County Kentucky Edwards, Lanham, Lowe, Mason, and Nightengale Project Page
Updates, when I add it to the page
- 1/8/17 Major updates to and more complete linking of the Edwards Section Thanks Susan Jurban (Update in progress)
- 12/24/14 Updates from John Edwards CW file
- 12/24/14 Updates from Pension Files of Hickman E. Edwards
- 2/6/00: John T. Lanham-Minerva Lowe Marrage Record Barbara Cecil
- 2/6/00: Lack of Proof Ezra Lowe burial Place, Mary Ash
- 11/21/99: Dates for Stanton P. Edwards Sandy Martin
- 8/29/99: New and Add info Matthew Nightingale Sr. Diantha Wagner
- 8/29/99: 1880 Shelby Co.IL John Lanham/George Lowe, Barbara Cecil
- 8/29/99: Additional Children of Elijah Edwards, Jackie Zortman
- 8/29/99: Mary Ann/Polly (Edwards) King, Jackie Zortman
- 8/29/99: Added info Nathaniel Edwards, Jackie Zortman
- 8/29/99: Added info Mary (Nightingale) Coffey, Diantha Wagner
- 7/5/99: Jacob Frazier Edwards Family Barbara
- 7/5/99: Additional children of Hickman Edwards Joe Goodin
- 7/5/99: Frances Elizabeth (Edwards) Fair Family Judy Shamp
- 7/3/99: William Edwards info by K Hembree
- 5/30/99: Kizziah (McDaniel or McDonald) Lanham, Kathryn Roller
- 5/30/99: Matthew Lanham Death info, Kathryn Roller
- 5/30/99: Kizziah Lanham pension info by Pat McEntee
- 5/30/99: George Lowe info by Barbara Cecil
- 4/18/99: Lowe info submitted by Phyllis Montano
- 4/18/99: Info submitted by Janet Cochran(James Lowe CW file)
- 2/28/99: 1860 Casey Co. KY Census Elizabeth Lowe
- 2/28/99: Info submitted by Darleen Pettengill
- 2/27/99: NIGHTENGALE section added
- 2/27/99: Info from military Headstone Application index cards
- 2/27/99: Info submitted by Kathryn Roller
- 2/27/99: Info submitted by Judy Fisk
- 2/27/99: Info from 1850 Casey Co. KY Census Joseph B. Edwards
- 2/27/99: Info from 1850 Casey Co. KY Census Jackson Lanham
- 2/27/99: Info From G. Lanham Civil War File
- 2/12/99: Info submitted by Jackie Zortman
- 2/8/99: Casey Co. KY Marriages Lanham Lowe
EDWARDS of Casey Co. KY Origins
Finding the origins of the various Edwards families of Casey Co.KY has been challenging to say the least. It does seem quite odd that a few of these families settled in the same area and are not related in some way. So these families could be pieced together is why this page was created. It appears now that goal has been accomplished, with a few details that need to be filled in. Details are given only for the people who appear on Casey Co. KY records.
Info was found from existing records, in various counties, and a number of written family group histories and now DNA results. It now seems there were two different Edwards families in Casey Co. KY at the time of its formation.
Lincoln County KY Tax list info for 1806 and slightly before
At the formation of Casey Co. KY Isham and Hickman did not appear on the Lincoln Co. KY records I examined. In 1807 the following Edwards disappeared from the tax list. Lewis, Emery, Aaron and Ruth?. John, George, and Thomas remained on the Lincoln list.
Casey Co. KY tax list
Aaron Edwards 1807-1815
Emery Edwards 1807-1829 (Variety of Spellings for Emery)
Hickman Edwards 1808-1809,1814-1829 possible War of 1812 Vet
Isham Edwards 1807-1829
Langhorn Edwards 1811-1829 not listed every year
William Edwards 1811-1829 in 1824 Sr. and Jr. listed
The names Lewis Edwards and John Edwards appear in some years.
The Grantor index did reveal the wives names: Aaron/Polly Edwards,
Isham/Margaret, Hickman/Elizabeth, Emery/Martha, Emery/Sally, and
1. The family of Isham Edwards Sr. (b. 1755 Halifax Co. VA d. 1828 Patrick Co. VA) Family, This is my line
Isham Sr. and other relatives migrated to Casey Co. KY by the 1807 Casey Co. KY tax list. They were not on the 1806 Lincoln Co. KY tax list. He was accompanied by son-in-laws William King and Cary Hardwick as well as some uncles, nephews and cousins. These families would settle in different places. Then on the next migration, these families would start from these different areas and arrive at the new location together. So for the purpose of this page, it will focus on the time spent and records created in Casey County KY. Among the surnames Buford, Cochran/Cochoran(and many et.al.) Edwards, Grogan, Pedigo, Storm. Isham Edwards Sr. did not leave a will, so these are the known children as listed from other sources. Sometime between the 1810 and 1820 Cesnus Sr. returned to Franklin Co. VA and son Isham Jr. moved to Casey Co. KY. By the early 1830s, Isham Jr. with all his unmarried children left Casey Co.KY and moved west. Isham Jr. may have left a as of yet unknown married daughter behind. Son Brice Edwards never left Franklin Co. VA. Only son Hickman left children in Casey Co. KY .
- Nancy Edwards (b. Abt. 1776 VA) m. John Ingram Jr.(b. Abt. 1776 d. Abt. Jan1866 Patrick County, VA)
- Catherine Edwards(b. Abt 1778 VA) m. 17Oct1794 Franklin County, VA Cary Hardwick (b. Abt. 1771 VA d. Aft. 1850)
- Brice Edwards (b. Abt. 1780 d. 28Jan1856 Patrick County, VA) m. Abt. 1800 Jane Rakes (b. Abt. 1783 VA d. Abt. Jul1880 Patrick County, VA)
- Isham Edwards Jr. (b. Abt 1783 VA d. Abt. 1856 Nemaha County, NE) m. 08Oct1804 Patrick County, VA Margaret Peggy Patsey (Witt) Edwards (b. Abt. 1786 d. Bef. 1850) Need to look at the originial Marriage Record, if it exists. A later transcribed marriage record lists Isham Jr.'s bride as Patsey instead of Peggy. Thinks this might be a transcription error.
- Hickman EDWARDS: (b. 1785 VA d. after 1860 Casey Co. KY) m. 18Apr1811 Franklin Co. VA Eliza (OSLEY) EDWARDS: (b. 1793 VA d. after 1870 Casey Co. KY Her maiden name is probably recorded wrong, possible alternatives Oxley, Oyler, or Housley
- Joseph B. (US) EDWARDS: (b. 1812 Franklin VA d. 05Feb1885 Casey Co. KY) *Notes* Member of 13 KY Cav. Co. B. (US) Buried at Poplar Grove Cemetery Casey Co. KY. Military Headstone Application Index Card refers to Cemetery as Kings. m. 08Feb1834 Casey Co. KY Ellender (BRANSON) EDWARDS (b. 1814 KY d. Aft. 1900 Casey Co. KY). On the 1900 Census "Nellie" states she only has two children alive. Daughter Nancy Jane Edwards is living with her and Eliza Jane (Edwards) Atwood also appears on the 1900 Census as well.
- Tolbert (US) EDWARDS: (b. 1834 Adair Co. KY d. 09Aug1865 Casey Co. KY) m. 05Feb1857 Casey Co. KY Martha F. (LANHAM) EDWARDS(b. 1Jan1835 Casey Co. KY d. 6Jan1912 Casey Co. KY) Sources: Census, Military Headstone application index card.*Notes* Tolbert was a member of the 1st KY Cav. Co. B (US) while on his way home he was shot and killed by a neighbor and was never formally discharged from service, however his headstone is a military marker. Buried at Poplar Grove Cemetery Casey Co. KY. Military Headstone Application index card refers to the Cemetery as Kings.
- Hickman E.(US) EDWARDS (b. 1836 Casey Co. KY d. 26Mar1864 Richmond VA POW camp)m. Rebecca (GOSSAGE) EDWARDS. No Children. Hickman E. Edwards body was part of a prisoner exchange according to his military service records. Buried as Poplar Grove Cemetery Casey Co. KY. As I understand the exchange of a body was unusual.
- Unknown daughter (b. 1838 Casey County, KY d. bef. 1850)
- Unknown daughter (b. 1840 Casey County, KY d. bef. 1850)
- Eliza Jane (EDWARDS) (b. 1841 Casey County. KY d. 13Oct1921 Casey County, KY) m. 08Feb1879 Casey County, KY John H. Atwood (b. Abt. Nov1811 Surry County, NC d. Aft 1900 Casey County, KY)
- Bonford EDWARDS (b. 1844 Casey Co. KY d. Bef. 1860)
- Isham EDWARDS (b. 1846 Casey County, KY)
- Joseph B.(US) EDWARDS Jr. (b. 1847 Casey Co. KY d. Sept 1874 Casey Co. KY)Buried at Poplar Grove Cemetery Casey Co. KY. Military Headstone Application index card refers to the Cemetery as Kings.
- Mary Ellender (EDWARDS) (b. 1847 Casey Co. KY d. Bef. 1900) m. 03Jan1875 Casey County, KY John D. Goodman (d. Bef. 1880)
- Phillip EDWARDS (b. 1851 Casey Co. KY d. Bef. 1879) m 19Nov1871 Casey County, KY Amanda (Snow) Edwards Grubbs
- Nancy C. (EDWARDS) (b. 1854 Casey Co. KY)Listed as "idiot" on several Censuses. She may be Find A Grave Memorial #137833723, birthdate is 9 years too young though.
- Martha W. (Edwards) (b. 07Feb1856 Casey Co. KY "Sutton Law" Vital records d. Bef. 1899 Casey County, KY) m. 01Feb1881 Casey County, KY Elijah (US) Gilpin (b. 15Sep1845 Casey County, KY d. 01Apr1915 Casey County, KY)
- Unknown son (b. 1814 Casey County, KY)
- Unknown daughter (b. 1816 Casey County, KY)
- Unknown daughter (b. 1821 Casey County, KY)
- Sarah (b.1825 Casey County, KY d. Aft. 1860) m. 01Jan1859 Casey County, KY Benjamin Lewis Hardwick (b. Abt. 1826 KY d. Aft. 1880)
- Brice M (US) (b. 1827 Casey County, KY d. Abt. 1906 Casey County, KY) m. Nancy D. (Sharp) Edwards (b. 3Dec1818 Casey County, KY d. 15Aug1887 Casey County, KY)
- Unknown son (b. 1829 Casey County, KY)
- Emmett (b. 1833 Casey County, KY d. Aft. 1850)
- Jacob W. (US) (b. 1833 Casey County, KY d. Aft. 1880) m. 28Dec1853 Casey County, KY Nancy (King) Edwards (b. Abt. 1838 KY d. 15Oct1878 Casey County, KY)
- Lidda Edwards (b. Abt 1787 d. Bef. 1850) m. 22Mar1803 Franklin Co. VA William King (b. 1780 VA d. Aft 1850)
2. The family of Arch Edwards, Archer, Archibald, Archeleous
On Langhorn Edwards death record an Arch Edwards is listed as his father. Another reseacher states the all the Edwards listed on the 1807 Casey Co. KY tax lists were related, except Isham Edwards Sr.
- Langhorn (b. Abt. 1782 d.06SEP1859 Casey Co. KY) m Nancy (Northcutt) Edwards Earls (b. 1812 d.?)she m2(Dec 1870 Casey Co. KY) George W. Earls
- John C or J (US) (b. d.26JUN1864)
- Emery m1 Martha m2 Sally
- Aaron m. Mary/Polly
- Unknown daughter
Later Edwards, unknown if they are related to the other two groups
3. Elijah Edwards Family
- Elijah EDWARDS (b. 1780 VA d. after 1870)
- Mahala (b. ca 1814) m1 9Feb1829 Casey Co. KY Samuel Spainhower m2 7Aug1838 Casey Co. KY William King, Jr.
- Mary Ann/Polly Edwards (b.1815 Logan Co, KY d. 1871 Casey Co. KY) m. Samuel B. King, Sr. ca 1834. She's supposed to be in Poplar Grove Cemetery, but must not have a tombstone, as we can't find her grave. But there are lots of unmarked graves up there.
- Margaret E. (b. 1820)
- James (b. 1822 Barren Co, KY) m. 1845 Martha/Patsy Lynn
- Nathaniel Edwards (b. 1824 Garrard Co. KY d. after 1875) m. Anna Louise "Lou" Ross ca. 1845. Date of death as he's shown to have bought some items in an estate sale that year in Casey or Lincoln Co.
- Stanton Pierce Edwards (b.25MAY1827 d. 18SEP1885 Casey Co. KY) m. 10Sep1850 Casey Co. KY Sarah F. Lanham. buried: Poplar Grove Cemetery, Casey Co.,KY
- Nancy E. (b. 1833 d.?)m. 6Mar1856 Casey Co. KY Reuben P. Martin
4. Jacob Frazier Edwards family
- Jacob Frazier EDWARDS (b. 1820 VA d. Boone Co. MO) preferred to be called Frazier m. (7Mar1839) Casey Co., KY. ABIGAIL ADKINS (b.? d.? Boone, CO., MO)
- MARY EDNA (b. 30Mar1846 Casey Co.KY d. 8Mar1923 Wanette Pottawatomi CO.,OK.) m. ELIAS BRADFORD GILPIN, son of AMBROSE AND
NANCY ADKINS GILPIN, so she and Elias were 1st cousins.
- MIRANDA (b. 1840, C.C. KY)
- MELISSA (b. 1842, C.C. KY)
- WILLIAM B. (b.1843. C.C. KY) m. (21Nov1859) EMILY ELLEN GILPIN( b. 1842 KY d. MO), daughter of GREEN GILPIN, (brother to AMBROSE)
- Children Probably all in Boone CO., MO.
- NANCY A. born1854.
- ELIZA born 1863.
- MAHALA born 1865.
- ROBERT born 1864
- WILLIAM born 1869.
- PATTEN (b. 1845 Boone Co., MO.)
- MATILDA (b. 1847, C.C. KY. d. Boone Co., MO) Must have made a trip home to C.C. KY.
- I also have bible records of WILLIAM SANDRIDGE EDWARDS of Green Co., KY.
5. William Edwards family
- William Edwards who appeared on the 1840 and earlier Casey Co. KY Census.
- Fanny Edwards m. (9Dec1839) Casey Co. KY Phillip Shuttleworth
- Phillip Shuttleworth/ Fanny Edwards on the 1850/60 Boone Co, MO census. Next to them on the 1850 census was William Edwards, wife Edney perhaps Fannie's parents. 1850 Census Record for Boone Co., Being 8th District, Missouri 1415 p.430, Shackleworth, Phillip 40 Ky, Fannie 24 Va, Nancy A. 8 Ky,Wm. M. 5 Ky,James A. 3 Ky,Winston 1 Ky. Families next to Phillip on 1850 Boone Co, Mo census:1413 - Richard Colvin (Nancy M., Martellus and Jesse T.), #1414- Edwards, Wm. 58 Va, Edney 47 Va, Nathan 16 Ky, George W. 12 Ky, John H. 8 Ky, Martha 5 Ky, Granderson 3 Ky, Wm. 23 Va; 1416 Green ACTION (Martha A., Paulina J., Sarah G., James H., Isaac PERKINS, Wm. ACTON, George ACTON) and 1417 Wm. S. Mead (Mary, Thomas H., Wm. J.)
Notes from Casey Co, Ky:Also found that Phillip Shuttleworth did pay poll tax. He was not herein 1838, No book for Tax rolls of 1839, but bingo found him in 1840 paying taxes. He had no property and paid tax of one male over age 21 and no animals etc. He was not here in the tax lists of 1841, or 1842. So you can safely assume he left Casey County after 1840.
Also checked the grantors and grantees records in the clerk's office.
Phillip Shuttleworth never bought or sold land in Casey County. The possible names for a father of Phillip's wife surname Edwards. The
Edwards listed on the Tax Rolls of 1840 were: Jacob Edwards, William
Edwards, Joseph Edwards, Sampkon (or similar) Edwards and Hickman Edwards.
6. Frances Elizabeth (Edwards) Fair family
- Frances Elizabeth EDWARDS m. Levi FAIR (21Dec1852) Casey Co Ky.
- Frances b. 1854,
- Belle C. b. 1856,
- Betsy Ann b. 1857,
- Willis Edmond b. 1860,
- Coleman b. 1864,
- Martha b. 1864,
- Ana b. 1867,
- Levi Jr. b. 1869,
- Lenzie b 1871,
- Clara./Claire b 1874
NIGHTENGALE and LANHAM
This Migration to Casey County KY were this family of NIGNTENGALES, not the LANHAMS. One daughter, Catherine, was the widow of Greenberry Lanham. It would appear she returned to her family after the death of her husband.
Matthew Nightingale Family
- Matthew (R) NIGHTINGALE m. Lucy Sarah (CAUTHON) NIGHTINGALE: THE RECORD OF MATTHEW NIGHTINGALE SENIOR IS IN THE DAR RECORDS IN LOUISVILLE, KY LIBRARY AND THAT HE SERVED IN THE REV WAR.
- Matthew NIGHTINGALE m. Judith (?) PERKINS NIGHTINGALE
- Mary/Molly (NIGHTINGALE) SPENCER COFFEY (b. St. James Northam Parish, Goochland Co. Va 26JAN1761 d.?) m2. Osborn COFFEY. Source DAR application. They are buried in KY in the National Cemetery. They evidently went to KY first and the Lanhams and others followed them. They had adjoining land in Casey Co. below "Green River." I have not yet linked Mary with Catherine although it is reported that Catherine went to KY to be near and did live with her sister, Mary, at one time after C's husband died.
- Catheine (NIGHTENGALE) LANHAM (b. 22June1762 St. James Northam Parish, Goochland Co. VA d. after 1844 Casey Co. KY) Catherine dau of Matthew Nightingale and Lucy Cauthon born 22 June 1762.Baptized 8 Aug 1762. Page 63. The Douglas Register Baptismal Records. m. 25MAY1785 VA Greenberry LANHAM
- LUCY (NIGHTINGALE) ? CHRISTENED 7Apr1765 St. James Northam Parish, Goochland Co. VA
Benedict Lanham Family
Oral tradition states Rev War Vet Greenberry Lanham's father was Ben Dick Lanham. This name not likely at the time, but is Benedict Lanham probably the acutal name. Nothing more is known of Benedict.
- Greenberry (R) LANHAM: (b. 1760s d. 30Nov18(01?) bef 1813) m. 25May1785 in VA Catherine (NIGHTENGALE) LANHAM(b. 22June1762 St. James Northam Parish, Goochland Co. VA d. Bef. 1853 Casey Co. KY) Had his wife not filed a Rev War Widow's Pension Application, we would not know Greenberry Lanham existed. Adding to the confusion with this family is Pleasant's widow married his widower brother Jackson. As a result many mixed these two families up. Jackson only had one son.
- 1820 Census Casey Co. KY shows 2-males b. 1794-1804 Perhaps Matthew and Jackson they did not appear individually on the 1820 Casey Co. KY Census. Note, all males 16-18 had to be listed in a seperate column, none are listed with Catherine therefore both sons would have been born prior to 1802
- NOTES: Robert, and Westley cannot be Matthew's sons, vi. Robert m. 24Dec1839 son of Pleasant? or other Lanham, Westley appears in the 1840 Census
- Pleasant: (b. Abt. 1792 VA d. 3May1864 Casey County KY) m. Abt. 1815 Casey County KY?) Elizabeth "Betsy" (Goodman) Lanham Lanham (b. Abt. 1798 d. 24 May 1880 Casey County, KY)
- Four Daughters
- Five Sons including Greenberry below (B. 1818)
- Greenberry LANHAM (b. 1818 d. ) m. 4Oct1839 Casey Co. KY Nancy Ann (DAVIS) LANHAM.
- 1820 Census shows:1-female b.1810-1820;1-male b. 1810-1820-Greenberry b. 1818
- 1830 Census shows: 1-female b. 1815-1820; 1-male b. 1815-1820-Greenberry; 2-males b. 1820-1825;1-male b.1825-1830; 1-female b. 1825-1830
- 1840 Census shows:1-female b. 1810-1820, same as one on 1830 list;
1-female b. 1825-1830, ditto; 1-female b. 1830-1835; 1-female b. 1835-1840; 2-males b. 1825-1830, missing two males from 1830; 1-male b.1835-1840
- Matthew N.(Nathan or Nightengale?) (b. 1790-1800 d. Kentucky Vital Statistics- Casey County Mortality Schedules, 18th District 1880 March, Matthew Lanham, age 84, born VA, father and mother born Virginia, cause of death- fever.)
First wife unknown b. 1800-1810 m2 Casey Co. KY (13Dec1831)Kizziah (McDaniel or McDonald) Lanham (b. 15 March 1812 NC? d. Kiziah Lanham's headstone- age 74, died Feb 14, 1888, "Our Mother". She is buried in Kingston Cemetery, Beverly Township, Section 7, Adams County, Illinois.)
Matthew Lanham First Family
- Two Sons
Matthew Lanham Second Family
- Three Daughters
- Seven Sons, Including the Greenberry below (B. 1837)
- Greenberry Lanham (b. 1837 d.4Aug1863 Casey Co. KY)*Notes* This Greenberry Lanham never married and died of disease contracted during duty in Civil War. He was a member of the 1st KY Cav. company A (US).In his will Greenberry left his 45 Acre farm to his mother Kizziah Lanham, in case of her death land to be sold and proceeds to his three full sisters and five full brothers. In the pension application for benefits, No. 213,064, his father is indentified as Matthew N. Lanham and mother as Kizziah Lanham. No. of Certificate: 169,571;Name of Pensioner: Keziah Lanham;Post Office Address: Liberty;Cause for which Pensioned: dept. mother;Monthly Rate: $8.00;
Date of Original Allowance: June 1875
- 1830 Census shows: 1-male b. 1820-1825; 1-male b. 1825-1830
- 1840 Census shows: 2-males b. 1825-1830- could be the two listed in 1830; 1-male b. 1830-1835; 2-males b. 1835-1840; 1-female b. 1830-1835
- 1830 Census shows one person missing from 1850 family list.
1-female b. 1820-1830 either married or died by 1850. All other children listed in 1830 have more than possible match on 1850 Census
- Andrew (12) Jackson LANHAM: (b. 1796 VA d. 24Dec1868 Casey Co. KY) m1. 3Jun1821 Casey Co. KY Polly A. (LOWE) LANHAM(b. 1802 Lincoln Co. KY d. 21Oct1858 Casey Co. KY or Missouri), m2 12Feb1865 Casey Co. KY Elizabeth Betsy (Goodman) LANHAM LANHAM
- Unknown Daughter (b. 1822 d. aft 1830)
- Rebecca (LANHAM) (b. 1825 Casey Co. KY)
- John T. LANHAM (b. 1847 Casey Co. KY) m. 11Apr 1870 Vol. C. pg 117 Shelby Co. IL Minerva M. (McMahon) Lowe Lanham. The following is the 1880 Shelby Co. IL Census Flat Branch Twp. household 88A Lanham, John 34 Farmer: Lanham, Miram M. 48 Keep house: Lanham, Sophia 9 Daugh.: Lowe, William 25 Step son: Lowe, Roeann 18 Step daugh: Lowe, Franklin 15 Step son: Lowe, Mary H. 3Step g-dau
- Samuel LANHAM (b. 1850 Casey Co. KY)
- *Notes* According to oral tradition these two who appear on the 1850 Casey Co. KY Census with the family of Jackson LANHAM were the sons of Rebecca LANHAM and unknown father not Jackson LANHAM. Rebecca and her two sons moved to Illinois
- Katherine (LANHAM) (b. 1827 Casey Co. KY)
- Mary J. (LANHAM) (b. 1829 Casey Co. KY)
- Sarah F. (LANHAM) EDWARDS (b. 1832 Casey Co. KY) m 10Sep1850 Casey Co. KY Stanton P. EDWARDS
- Mary LANHAM (b. 1846 Casey Co. KY)
- *Notes* According to oral tradition Mary, who appears on the 1850 Casey Co. KY Census with Jackson LANHAM was the daughter of Sarah F. (LANHAM) EDWARDS and unknown father not Jackson LANHAM.
- Polly Ann (LANHAM)(b. 1833 Casey Co. KY)
- Martha F. (LANHAM) EDWARDS: (b. 1Jan1835 Casey Co. KY d. 6Jan1912 Casey Co. KY)m. 05Feb1857 Casey Co. KY Tolbert (US) EDWARDS: (b. 1834 Adair Co. KY d. 09Aug1865 Casey Co. KY)
- Lucy (LANHAM) (b. 1837 Casey Co. KY)
- Eliza R. (LANHAM) (b. 1839 Casey Co. KY)
- William LANHAM (b. 1841 Casey Co. KY) *Note* might be the same William LANHAM who appears on the Roster of the 1st KY Cav. Co. B. (US)
John Lanham Family
- John Lanham b. prior to 1775
- 1820 Census shows: 1-male b. 1794-1804; 1-male b. 1802-1804; 1-male b. 1804-1810; 1-male b. 1810-1820; 2-females b. 1775-1794; 1-female b. 1794-1804; 1-female b. 1804-1810; 3-females b. 1810-1820
John Lanham disappeared from the tax list in 1822, did not have a sudden increase in unknown Lanhams on the tax lists, perhaps this family moved.Will we need to account for the children of this family?
William Lanham Family
- William b. 1775-1794, or 1780-1790;wife b. 1775-1794, or 1780-1790
- 1820 Census shows: 1-male b. 1804-1810; 1-male b. 1810-1820; 1-female b. 1810-1820
- 1830 Census shows: 1-male b. 1800-1810; 1-male b. 1815-1820; 1-female b. 1815-1820
- no additional children between 1820-1840
- 1840 Census shows:1-male b.1810-1820
Casey Co. KY Lanham Marriages
- Amanda Lanham-McClellan Earles 23Feb1886
- Bettie A. Lanham-Wm. P. Estes 29Dec1887
- Catherine Lanham-Davy Cox 12Dec1854
- Catherine Lanham-Moses Bell 3Aug1874
- Eliza R. Lanham-Isaac P. Cochran 16Mar1857
- Elizabeth Lanham-John Rodgers 31May1850
- Elizabeth Lanham-George Cochran 13Apr1862
- Elizabeth Lanham-Jackson Lanham 12Feb1865: Widow of Pleasant Lanham and Son of Greenberry and Catherine (Nightengale) Lanham. Jackson also the brother of Pleasant.
- Elvadie Lanham-H.L. Gifford 13Jan1887
- Emily Lanham-Hardin E. Lane 8Jul1888
- Emma Lanham-Wm. F. Russell 2Aug1892
- Julia A. Lanham-William V. Nevine 1Sep1861
- Lucy Lanham-George Brock 8Mar1838
- Lucy Lanham-George G. Murphy Apr1859
- Lucy Lanham-Elijah N. Decker 1Oct1859
- Martha F. Lanha(m)-Talbot(Tolbert) Edwards 5Feb1857:Daughter of A. Jackson and Polly (Lowe) Lanham, son of Joseph B. and Ellender (Branson) Edwards. Source: Martha F. (Lanham) Edwards Death Certificate.
- Patsey/Martha J. Lanham-William S. Luster 24Dec1858 :Daughter of Robert Lanham and Mary Ann (Gifford) Lanham Source: Census
- Patsey/Martha P. Lanham-George A. Gibbons 12Mar1866: Daughter of Greenberry Lanham and Nancy Ann (Davis) Lanham. Source Census
- Mary Ann Lanham-William Cochran 23Apr1865
- Mary E. Lanham-James F. Hill 20Jun1861
- Mary Jane Lanham-Edmond Lucas 8Nov1854
- *Note* Current information show all three of these Marys to be Jackson Lanham's descendants, two daughters and one granddaughter. I think this will have to be reexamined.
- Nancy W. Lanham-Thomas Sluder 27Mar1895
- Sarah F. Lanham-Stanley F. Edwards (Stanton P. Edwards)10Sep1850
- Sally J. Lanham-John W. Murphy Mar1859
- Sally F. Lanham-Robert F. Elder 5Mar1865
- Vina E. Lanham-Eber Lee Jones 3Jul1890
- Albert Lanham-Amanda Cox 15Mar1867
- Albert Lanham-Minerva Camden 24Sep1869
- Albert Lanham-Martha Goodwin 20Jan1891
- Ancil Lanham-Susan Davenport 1Dec1864
- C.C. Lanham-Sally Ann Rodgers 9Jul1874
- C.C. Lanham-Mandy Hall 2Dec1892
- Christopher Lanham-Marietta Carpender 21Dec1881
- Elijah Lanham-Mary E. Frederick 27Sep1894
- Elsie L. Lanham-Isabelle Short 30Nov1895
- F.L. Lanham-Sophia B. Brown 21Apr1881
- Frank B. Lanham-Martha E. Duncan 27Jun1896
- Frank M. Lanham-Ellen Turpin 1Apr1880
- George Lanham-Savana Parker 5Aug1861
- Greenberry Lanham-Nancy Ann Davis 4Oct1839: Son of Pleasant Lanham and Elizabeth (Goodman) Lanham Lanham, Source the Census and Andrew Jackson Lanham's War of 1812 file.
- Jackson Lanham-Polly Lowe 3Jun1821 Son of Greenberry and Catherine (Nightengale) Lanham, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Mason) Lowe. Sources: Andrew Jackson (John) Lanham's War of 1812 File and Greenberry Lanham's Revolutionary War file.
- Jackson Lanham-Elizabeth Lanham 12Feb1865: Son of Greenberry and Catherine (Nightengale) Lanham, widow of Pleasant Lanham also son of Greenberry and Catherine (Nightengale) Lanham. Source: Andrew Jackson (John) Lanham's War of 1812 file and Greenberry Lanham's Revolutionary War file.
- John Lanham-Jane Evans 25May1849
- John Lanham-Mary J. Gifford 28Jan1868
- Louis R. Lanham- Viola F. Lane 30Nov1895
- Matthew Lanham-Kiziah McDonald 13Dec1831: Son of Greenberry and Catherine (Nightengale) Lanham. Source Greeberry Lanham's Revolutionary War file.
- Robert Lanham-Mary Ann Gifford 24Dec1839
- Robert Lanham-Artemena McWhorter 21Dec1865
- Robert Lanham-Rutha J. Lawson 16Jan1867
- William C. Lanham-Luvinda J. Martin 13Oct1859
- Willis G. Lanham-Mary Goodman 28Sep1892
Thomas Lowe and Elizabeth Betsy (Mason) Lowe Family
- Thomas LOWE: (b. 1775 d. 24Aug1848-2Sep1848 Casey Co. KY) m. 12Mar1801 Lincoln Co. KY Elizabeth Betsy (MASON) LOWE (b. 1785 Lincoln Co. KY d. after 1870 Census)
- Parents are Elizabeth (?) Lowe and unknown father who had a series of daughters marry in Lincoln Co. KY starting in the 1790s. A Thomas Lowe is a witness to one of these marriages (See Below)
- 1860 Casey Co. KY Census shows the following family
- Elizabeth Lowe 74 born Lincoln Co. KY
- Sarah 33
- Davis C. 14
- John W. 11
- Mary E. 6
- William T. 1
- Next family below
- Luisa Lowe 40 born Casey Co. KY
- Sarah J. 20
- unreadable female 20
- continued on next page of Census, I failed to make a copy.
- who were Sarah and Luisa Lowe and where are their husbands.
One Answer by Phyllis Montano: the Sarah that is 33 is Sarah Margaret Lynn who married Thomas James Lowe. They are the parents of William Thomas Lowe. Sarah was born 1827. Thomas James was born 1826. They were married in 1845. After Thomas James died, Sarah married a Richard Conners. The parents of Thomas James was Thomas Lowe and Elibabeth Betsy Mason. Louisa Lowe ( I think she married a James Lowe?)is a sister to Janey McGlothlin that married Bennett Peyton. Their father was a Thomas McGlothlin and their mother was a Sarah Peyton, whos father was a James Peyton. Then William Thomas Lowe married Ann Eliza Edwards.
- *Note* this list of children has been floating around for years, have not found the primary source for this list yet.
- John W. (b.17NOV1801 Lincoln Co. KY d.2APR1876 Vigo Co.IN) m. Ellen Jane Clark
- Mason or Mahon? Frank or T. (b. 1802? KY d. aft 1860 IN)
- Polly A. (LOWE) LANHAM (b. 1802 Lincoln Co. KY d. 21Oct1858 Casey Co. KY or Missouri)m. 3Jun1821 Casey Co. KY Andrew (12) Jackson LANHAM: (b. 1796 VA d. 24Dec1868 Casey Co. KY)
- Elizabeth (b. 1805 Lincoln Co. KY d.aft 1900) m. Casey Co. KY 26Aug1826 Bennett Lynn
- Ezra Morrison (b. 1806/1815 d.1885 Mewhinney Cemetery Vigo Co. IN) m. 29Mar1833 Casey Co. KY Sarah Oliver *Note: Question if Ezra Lowe is buried at the cemetery mentioned or even in Vigo Co. IN.
- Andrew H. (b. d. after 1850 Vigo Co. IN)
- Rachel (b. 1814 d. 2Oct1895 Casey Co. KY) m. 16Sep1834 Casey Co. KY Reed Lynn
- William (b. 1815 KY d. aft 1880 Vigo Co. IN) m1.1849 IN Lavina m2 1856 IN Elizabeth Vest
- Samuel (b. 1817 d. aft 1880 Vigo Co. IN) m. 1842 IN Susan Latta
- James (b. 1818 d.?) m. 7Jul1839 Casey Co. KY Louisa McGlothlin. This death date and place is now in question. According to the CW File on the James Lowe who died at Camp Williams "On Oct. 25-1864 Amy Lowe of Wayne Co Ky. stated that she was widow of Andrew R. Lowe and Mother of James A. Lowe who was a private in Company (H?)commanded by Capt F. K. Alexander in the 1st Reg. of Ky Volunteer Cav. commanded by Col. Frank Wolford and who died while in service at Camp Williams , Ky. on or about 2-12-1862 from thypoid pmeumnia or Jan. 1 -1862 as date of death. His father Andrew R. Lowe died March 29- 1838 in Bledsoe Co. Tenn and James had been supporting his Mother according to several depositions. Andrew Lowe and Amy were married 10-13-1833 in Bledsoe Co. Tenn. James Lowe had never married. Amy Lowe gave deposition that she had supposed herself to be married to David Norris but he wrote on or about March-10-1865 from Columbia , Ky. calling her Amy Lowe and informing her that their marriage
was null and void and that he did not intend to live with her anymore."
- Margaret (b. 24Oct1825 KY d. 16May1887 Vigo Co. IN) m.9Mar1842 Lincoln Co. KY Hays Lynn
- Thomas (b. 1826 KY d. aft 1860 (Civil War)) m. 1845 Sally Lynn
- George (b. 1829 KY d. Aug1865 shot near Hustonville Lincoln Co. KY) m. 1850 Manerva McMahon. George Lowe was a Union Soldier from 1 November 1861 until 24 February 1863.He was discharged at Louisville, KY on the above date because of a disability. Apparently he was thrown backwords from his horse and suffered partial paralysis of both lower extremities.His disability is stated as one-half. His occupation when he enlisted was blacksmith. When discharged he was a Corporal. Are these George Lowe's children? Flat Branch Twp. Shelby Co. IL 1880 Census:88A Lanham, John 34 Farmer:Lanham, Miram M. Keep house: Lanham, Sophia 9 Daugh.: Lowe, William 25 Step son: Lowe, Roeann 18 Step daugh: Lowe, Franklin 15 Step son: Lowe, Mary 3 Step g-dau.
Jesse Lowe and Susannah (?) Lowe Family
- Will of Jesse Lowe spelled Loe book G page 9 11Apr1814 heirs listed in order mentioned.
- George A. Loe
- Phillip S. Loe
- Martha (Loe) Davis
- David Loe
- Susanna (Loe) Sprowl?
- Thomas Loe
- William S. Loe
- Polly A. Loe
- Nancy B. Loe
- John Jefferson Loe
- Celia W. Loe
- Willis F. Loe
- wife Susanna (Sublett) Lowe. Daughter of William Sublett and Susanna (Allin) Sublett.
Elizabeth (?) Lowe and unknown husband Family
- Elizabeth gave concent for these daughters to be married in Lincoln Co. KY
- Sarah Lowe m. William Rodgers 12Jan1791 Edward Lowe Wit.
- Mary Lowe m. Ben Little or Luttrell 25Jul1791 Edward Lowe Wit.
- Margaret Lowe m. Wm Peter 2Aug1791 Edward Lowe Wit.
- Elizabeth Lowe m. Elijah Whitton 21May1796 Thos Lowe Wit.
- Following male might be her son: Samuel Lowe m. Sarah Peter 28Sep1787 Edward Lowe Wit. John Peter gave concent.
Unlinked early Lincoln Co.KY Lowe Families
Casey Co. KY Lowe Marriages
- Edward Lowe m. Mary Wright 1Dec1797
- Elizabeth Lowe m. John Brady 2Aug1800
- George Lowe m. Nancy Henry 2Mar1796
- Amanda W. Lowe-George M. Eads 13Jan1880
- E. Lowe-F.P. Martin 3Aug1853
- Eliza Lowe-Bennett Lynn 26Aug1826
- Lew Bell Lowe-Benjamin Woodrum 6Sep1881
- Polly Lowe-Jackson Lanham 3Jun1821 Daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Mason) Lowe, Son of Greenberry and Catherine (Nightengale) Lanham.
- Mary E. Lowe-William H. Smith 13Nov1873
- Rachael Lowe-Reed Lynn 16Sep1834
- Sally Lowe-Richard Conner 21Jul1861. Sarah Margaret (Lynn) Lowe Conner, widow of James Thomas Lowe. He the son of Thomas Lowe and Elizabeth (Mason) Lowe.
- Sofrona Low-Henry Smith 12Jul1890
- Davis C. Lowe-Malinda Melton 15Jan1869
- Ezra M(orrison). Lowe-Sarah Oliver 29Aug1833 Son of Thomas Lowe and Elizabeth/Betsy (Mason) Lowe. Daughter of Isaac Oliver and Margaret/Peggy (Fagg) Oliver
- (Alvin) James Lowe-Louisa McGlothlin 7Jul1839. Son of Thomas Lowe and Elizabeth/Betsy (Mason) Lowe. Daughter of Thomas McGlothlin and Sarah (Peyton) McGlothin
- Obediah Lowe-Lucy Tucker 21Jul1852
- (William) Thomas Lowe-Ann Eliza Edwards 5Mar1882 Son of Thomas James Lowe and Sarah Margaret (Lynn) Lowe Conner. Daughter of Stanton P. Edwards and Sarah (Lanham) Edwards.
William Mason Family
- William Mason (b.? d. by 1805 Lincoln Co. KY) Sarah (McKeachey) Mason (b. ? d. by 1805 Lincoln Co. KY)
- ASSUMPTION: The deed made 3May1805 in Lincoln Co. KY by the below listed heirs we are assuming are the children of William Mason and Sarah (McKeachey) Mason even though the parents are not mentioned by name in this deed.
- James m. Sally Feland
- Frances m. Andrew Feland
- Richard m. Anna Davis
- Rachel m. Ashberry Vandiveer
- Thompson m. Mary Fair
- Hugh m. Frances Reynolds
- Elizabeth Betsy (MASON) LOWE (b. 1785 Lincoln Co. KY d. after 1870 Census)m. 12Mar1801 Lincoln Co. KY Thomas LOWE: (b. 1775 d. 24Aug1848-2Sep1848 Casey Co. KY)
- John m. Hannah Hutchinson
- Polly m. Nichols Burks
- Jenny m. John McCandless
- Nancy m. Joseph Hutchinson
- Lettice m. Reuben Dunbar
- Margaret m. Davis Chamberlain
Page created by: Victor Lee