For people who worked on Stampede Pass, and for those who traveled there prior to 1990, Lester was often a romanticized spot. It was to home to one of last of the open stations on the Northern Pacific, and then Burlington Northern, as Stampede moved towards closure. From information in the NP's own Annual Reports, it appears the depot was constructed between 1891 and 1893, shortly after the completion of Stampede Tunnel, Washington's statehood, and the demise of Weston, the original helper station at the western foot of Stampede Pass.
With a freight shed off the eastern end, operators bay in the west, and a second story for agent's living quarters above that, Lester was a plan repeated often across the NP. Stations exactly or very similar to the depot included Gate, Pe Ell, Ravensdale, and Woodland in Washington, Saltese and Frenchtown [preserved] in Montana, and probably numerous others. The Lester depot wound up becoming both a King County and National Landmark. It was blown up by BN subcontractors around the winter of 1990-91. Today the site is a log dump.
Before its final destruction, there were two attempts at preservation. The first was by Wayne Farrar, who purchased the structure from BN for a single dollar, with the condition it be removed from the property. A staggering task for a small town, let alone an individual, Farrar missed BN's first removal deadline, then an extension, with the depot finally reverting back to BN control. Next at bat was the City of North Bend. Seeking a historic depot to enhance the town's tourist industry as the eastern end of the Puget Sound and Snoqualmie Railroad, a short tourist line between Snoqualmie Falls and North Bend, which itself was a former Seattle, Lake Shore and Eastern and then NP line. North Bend eventually bowed out of this costly moving and rebuilding job, but not before two studies were completed. They form two of the best reports on an NP structure and Lester, and give a glimpse of what was and what might have been.
July 20, 1983
William G. Collins
King County Historic Preservation Officer
I have, at the request of your office, prepared the following report regarding the history, structural integrity, preservation/restoration, and moving of the Burlington Northern (nee-Northern Pacific) railway depot located at Lester, Washington.
The Northern Pacific Railway began its operation in St. Paul, Minnesota in December of 1868 with thirty miles of track. Within the next twenty years it had developed standard plans for the construction of all of its buildings and structures. With the construction of its main line, called the Yellowstone Route, the necessary buildings along its right of way were constructed from these plans. The lumber for most of the Northern Pacific's structures were milled by the Northern Pacific's own mill shops. the Northern pacific actually operated in our state prior to construction of its main east-west route when it began the purchase of existing rail companies in the western part of the state.
In its efforts to connect eastern and western Washington a rail line was built from Palmer Junction to Eagle Gorge in 1885, and from Eagle Gorge to Weston in 1886. Between Eagle Gorge and Weston were the small communities of Humphrey, Maywood, Hot Springs, and Lester. Hot Springs was not a depot but a hotel with tickets and railway Express offered as part of its services. (See accompanying slides). By July 1887 the rail line connecting east to west was in operation and by May of 1888, the Cascade tunnel was in operation to replace the hastily constructed switch backs over Stampede Pass. Trains reached Palmer Junction from Tacoma via Puyallup, Sumner, Orting, Carbonado, Wilkeson, Enumclaw, and Cumberland. In September of 1900, rail service began between Tacoma and Palmer Junction via Auburn and Kanaskat. This latter route became the main line over the Cascade Range.
The Lester depot, built in 1886, is known as a combination depot (passenger and freight) and is the only remaining two story wood frame depot on the old Northern Pacific Route west of Cle-Elum. Cle-Elum and Lester are the only wood frame, two story depots remaining in the State of Washington on the old NP main line. It was built of materials shipped from Minnesota and carried to the town site by rail and a-wagon. It was built per the set of standard plans of that particular decade. By 1900, those plans were no longer used but are similar to plans S26-28 (1890). Likewise, standard plans S-26-28 are similar to S-26-18 (1900) which are attached to this report. the Lester depot and West Tenino depots are known to be the only ones in the State built of exactly the same design. The Tenino depot was torn down years ago.
By visual inspection, the existing structure is almost identical in plan and detail to the drawings furnished with this report. The only exceptions being that the first floor bay window area extends to include the second floor, with a corresponding dormer. The small dormer shown in the drawings was then not required, thusly omitted. The first floor plan is identical to the plans except that the waiting room is about one foot narrower. The second floor plan is also identical to that shown in the drawings except that the kitchen chimney is located in the NW corner of the living room on an axis with the bedroom chimney.
All other millwork, plaster work, sashes, doors, and other details are identical to the complete set of plans. One exception would be that the door and window casings are more detailed in the 1886 design (more ribs). Unfortunately, all of the first floor interior door and window trim and most of the plaster, baseboards, chair mold, and window aprons were removed over the years and replaced with quarter inch plywood and common trim lumber. Evidence of the original lath and plaster remains in the ticket office and stairway, and can be clearly seen through the west hall of the freight room extending from the floor to the ridge.
Basically, the overall physical appearance resembles the depot when built, but certain obvious revisions to the structure have been made that will make a time consuming, but not impossible job of restoring the structure to its original appearance. The most critical aspects of just preserving the structure involve replacing a missing window wash, installing a new roof, providing better air circulation under the building, and stabilizing its foundation.
Work on the roof and foundation, it has been discovered, cannot be limited to preservation alone, but will logically involve restoring certain aspects of these features as well. The following steps must be considered while preserving and restoring the structure. they are described in a priority sequence.
Foundation: Assuming that the depot is to be moved, the foundation will be exposed for the first time in almost one hundred years. The method of construction, then considered standard, was to not provide air circulation under the building and to actually bank the earth against the perimeter. Because of the lack of access and little clearance under the building, one cannot make a detailed inspection, however, since the floors and siding slope in certain areas and because the stairway has a one inch per foot slant, one can assume that a considerable amount of the posts or pier blocks are deteriorated to the point of failure. A few of the floor joists may also need replacing but the full extent of this work will require a complete visual inspection once the structure has been lifted. At this time the under floor structure could be replaced where required. This may be required before the building is moved because the moving g timbers will bear under points of the depot that may be beyond bearing capacity. Other floor beams and joists could be replaced prior to setting the structure on a permanent foundation. The new foundation could be post and pier blocks, or a continuous perimeter footing and foundation wall. In any case, the underside of the floor joist support beams must be no closer than eighteen inches from the earth with the earth being covered with a plastic vapor barrier. In addition, the perimeter must have screened vents for adequate cross ventilation. Because much of the structure is still fairly level, it can be assumed that much of the under floor structure is still fairly sound and could perhaps last another hundred years if given adequate protection from deterioration. A considerable amount of hand digging will add to the cost of moving the structure. The estimated cost of moving the structure to a proposed site one-thousand feet away has been offered at approximately $8,000. The new foundation and estimated under floor repair work is estimated to be approximately $12,000. However, a post and pier block foundation would be approximately half this figure.
Roof: The shingles on the roof are past due for replacement as evidenced by leaks within the building. At the time of re-roofing, it would be logical to restore the original roof configuration as well. The roof line on the north side of the building was drastically altered when a spur track was laid behind the depot sometime after 1914. The knee braces were removed for the full length of the depot and the roof overhang was reduced to about one-quarter of its original size. The roof overhang clearly shows in the 19143 photos at a time that the original wood platform extended around the two ends and along the rear side. I would recommend the eventual re-building of the platform, but more important at this time would be the extension of the rafters to their original length and undertake this at the time the shingles are replaced. In this manner, the original character of the depot could be regained.
In addition, a room has been added to the second floor near the intermediate landing of the stairway. The room, built after 1914, is too small to serve a future purpose other than storage an d should be removed in order to restore the original roof line on the north side 9f the building. This could easily be accomplished during the reroofing process. The area below this room occupies the northwest corner of the freight room which contains two restrooms added in 1948. The estimated cost of restoring the roof overhang is approximately $800.00 and the estimated cost of re-roofing the entire depot is approximately $1,800 for materials and $2,600 for labor.
Windows: The lower right hand sash of double hung windows in the ticket office bay is missing and will require that a new one be fabricated. Approximate cost, including glazing: $120.00.
The following items are not critical for the immediate preservation of the structure but will be necessary for complete restoration:
Chimney Caps: One of the most obvious missing features is the corbelled chimney caps which can be easily restored using the photographs as reference.
Another missing feature that can be added at the end of the project is the spired finial atop the peak of the roof (see 1914 photograph).
Exterior Work: The drop siding needs replacement in only a few places and will need considerable preparation before painting, but remains remarkably intact. Only one of the original exterior doors remains with the building and is located at the foot of the second floor stairway. All of the transom windows are missing and have been replaced with either plywood or drop siding. Transom windows are missing from both freight doors, the two trackside entry doors, and the two entry doors on the north side of the building. These windows could be easily restored. In addition, the door trim should be replaced where altered, missing, or damaged beyond normal wear. An exterior pipe chase in the northwest corner of the building should be removed during the restoration process.
The wall areas below the ticket office bay windows had been extensively revised between 1914 and 1960 for an unexplained reason.
The original diagonal boards, trim, and metered window sills were removed and replaced with simple flat skirt boards. This area could be restored after it is moved by referring to the 1914 photograph.
Lastly, the original construction of the deport did not include gutter, but some were added along the track side prior to 1914 see photograph). The existing gutters are beyond repair and should be removed.
Two iron hooks attached to the south end of the freight room seem to be serving no purpose in the 1967 photo and do not appear in the 1914 photo, thus should be removed. The signs, "Lester" and "Railway Express Agency" have been removed from the building. The 1914 photo shows no REA sign and shows the sign "Lester." painted onto the siding.
The original color of the depot was "Indian Red" as described in the specifications, and the window sashes were to be dark green. The 1914 photo does not show a contrast between siding and window sashes, but shows a monotone of color. By stripping the paint, one can determine the original color scheme.
The order signal tower support brackets between the tow double hung bay windows can be removed and not reinstalled. Numerous holes through the siding must be filled or the short pieces of siding be replaced. The 1914 photo of the deport shows almost no modifications except for the addition of water barrels on the roof. Upon the recent field investigation here was found a vertical splice in the siding under one side of the waiting room window. The location of such a vertical cut and splice would normally indicate the presence of a previous doorway. The 1914 photo shows no doorway here, but does show a window that does not align with the adjacent bay windows and sills. The window could have replaced a door a this location between 1886 and 1914. More investigation would be required during the interior restoration to justify the historical presence of a door at this location. it should also be noted that sometime after 1914 the window sash and frame was rebuilt to align more directly with the bay windows and sills.
Siding splices on the west end of the second floor in the northwest corner of the kitchen indicate that the corner window sill was once the same height as the living room window, as shown on the standard elevations. A window on the north side of the kitchen and adjacent bedroom have also been removed and covered with siding. A more detailed account of these two windows will be given below in regards to second floor interior modifications.
Interior Work (First Floor): The freight room is basically untouched, but I would recommend rafter ties be placed between the existing to secure each rafter to its opposite rather than every fourth or fifth. This should be done before the building is moved. The freight doors need re-adjusting to allow them to slide freely. It was noticed that three of the original four pull handles are missing. Similar handles can be purchased today, but are of slightly different shape.
All but one of the original interior doors have been removed and replaced with newer ones. The one remaining door leading from the waiting room to the stairway is damaged beyond repair, but all doors could be duplicated as originally installed.
All plywood covering the walls should be removed and metal lath or rock lath be applied to the walls with one brown coat and one finish coat applied subsequently. This would restore the original texture of the interior and would be in keeping with the original finish scheme. Any plumbing and re-wiring would be done prior to the plaster work and all existing surface mounted conduits should be removed. Any original wiring encountered should also be removed, but none should be expected since there was no electricity at the building when constructed. Insulating the side walls could also be done at this time.
The two interior partition walls should be removed considering that they support now eight and were considerably modified over the years. in adapting a new use for the structure, it would not be imperative that they be reinstalled, but their re-construction as originally designed could be accomplished provided that the partition ;and ticket window bases are saved and protected from further damage.
The estimated cost of restoring the interior walls and ceiling on the first floor ranges from $5,600 to $9,500 depending on whether or not room and board are available for the plaster workers and upon whether or not volunteers could remove the existing plywood and remaining lath.
About $2,500 can be expected to be spent on replacing the first floor trim and mouldings including exterior trim, and new doors will be approximately $350 each. See prices at end of section.
Interior Work (Second Floor): Going up the sloping flight of stairs, one finds the original plaster moderately cracked but not falling off of the lath and in otherwise good condition. Plywood covers a portion of the stairwell and will have to be removed. The small room at the intermediate landing, as mentioned previously, should be removed when the building is re-roofed and the wall patched with plaster. The upstairs hall is in good condition. A doorway leading from the hall to the living room stands boarded-up, but with casing still intact. The small bedroom on the north side of the hall appears as originally constructed including trim. However the north wall was covered with plywood, effectively covering the window that shows on the plan. The original, tall, double-hung window and baseboard were removed. The window outline can be seen from the outside where new drop siding was butted against the old. This window can also be fabricated and reinstalled. The bedroom closet is as originally constructed, minus the door, and is in fairly good condition.
At the west end of the hall one enters the kitchen through an original door. Above the door is a single lite transom. All of the kitchen plaster remains except for the north wall which is covered with one-quarter inch plywood. All of the kitchen trim and mouldings were removed years ago and replaced with common lumber. the kitchen pantry remains intact with original lath and plaster and trim. The north facing kitchen window was covered with the plywood mentioned above. This window was once a tall, double-hung window that was later modified into a doorway which opened out onto the porch. The original building description from the NP Valuation Department mentions a covered porch on the upper story measuring five feet by twenty four feet. The porch shows in the 1914 photograph, but a thorough investigation of the original plans shows no such porch intended. In investigating the siding, one can see the lower edge of the window sill opening cut into the siding. The doorway, instead of following the same cut, is offset to indicate a narrower opening. With this proof, along with the plans, it is clear that this door and the porch were clearly add-ons and not part of the original design or construction. The original window had been removed, modified into a doorway, and subsequently filled-in years later.
Adjacent to the kitchen is the living room. The living room contains none of the original lath, plaster, or trim and mouldings. All have been replaced with one-quarter inch plywood and common lumber. A roof leak is currently saturating the south bay window wall areas.
The large bedroom off the living room is intact except for plywood covering the west and north walls. The original second floor ceiling height of eight feet ten inches remains. The ceilings of the kitchen pantry, hallway, and large bedroom are the only ceilings not covered with plywood and still displaying the original plaster.
Floors - General: The original first and second floor fir flooring could be resanded and re-finished. Except for floor slope that will more than likely be corrected with the building moving/leveling phase, no adverse deterioration could be found except on the first floor where about one hundred square feet of flooring and sub-flooring needs to be removed, replaced, and new flooring subsequently laid. The false floor of the ticket office and waiting room may be sitting in dirt and will have to be examined when the building is raised. The reason for the false floor, which is six inches below the true floor, is as follows:
"The false floor shown in above section to be constructed under ticket office and waiting rooms, in such localities only, where a warm floor is required on account of the severity of the climate." (Quotation from note on plan S-26-30, Details)
Deterioration of the false floor or the two by six true floor joists resting upon the false floor will necessitate the removal of all of the true flooring in the affected area. This could result in unexpected expenses that cannot be determined at this time.
I should be noted that the plint and pilaster tops on the door and window casings are more intricate than shown on the standard plan detail sheet and more ribs are cut into the door and window casing than shown the same sheet. Care should be taken to reproduce the casing from the existing and not from the drawings. The window stool, corner blocks, one by four ceiling, bay window corner, and corner beads are the same as shown on the drawings.
The window aprons and chair rails are identical to the door and window casing.
Miscellaneous: The "ram's head" main roof and dormer finials do not appear in the 1914 photograph, although the main roof peak finial does. This does not mean that the other finials were missing, but one cannot prove their existence in 1886.
In conclusion, the field investigation has revealed that the Lester Depot can be preserved, moved, and restored, provided that provisions be made to correct foundation deficiencies as described above. The structure is unique in that no other depot in the State exists that was built with the same design. It possesses a certain unique character that highly exemplifies the Northern Pacific in its earliest history of depot construction. Its relation to transportation as well as community development and style of architectural detailing remains an important aspect of the interpretive history of not only King County, but the State as well. Lester was the only gateway for leaving and entering King County by rail across the Cascade Range, so should thusly warrant strong consideration in its preservation. Total: $45,890 to $58,540 plus $10,000 for unexpected expenses.
1 May 1984
Mayor Healea and City Council Members
City of North Bend
North Bend, Washington 98045
Dear Mr. Mayor and City Council Members,
Grulich Architecture and Planning Services is proud to offer this report on the feasibility of relocating and restoring the Lester Depot to the City of North Bend. The report is complete and ready for final review.
The report is in three major sections. First, a description of the depot, its structure and its disposition in Lester. Second, the proposal document, dismantle and restore the depot in the City of North Bend, and finally, a detailed cost estimate for the relocation and restoration activities.
This report does not address the issue of transport of the depot but suggests that the most viable opportunity for shipping is via through the Tacoma and Seattle watersheds and exiting at Cedar Falls.
It is the hope of Grulich Architecture and Planning Services that this report will assist you in your deliberations on the fate of the depot. We wish to offer our opinion that the scale and design of the depot is very compatible with the buildings in the central business district of North Bend and that the proposed use of the restored depot will create a unique amenity to the citizens of North Bend.
It has been our pleasure to assist you in this project. We hope that we have another opportunity to be of assistance to the City of North Bend.
August Gene Grulich
WALL FRAMING SYSTEM: The existing exterior wall circuit of the Lester Depot is little changed from its original construction. The Standard Plan for a Class C two-story combination depot and several photographs document the original construction and show few alterations from the existing conditions. The proposal for relocation and restoration of the exterior walls include dismantling the walls in various panels with transport of the building in panels considered the most viable. The proposal is to section the various walls into panels which can be transported via a 40-foot flatbed truck. The north and south walls would be sectioned in three sections. The one story freight room being one section and the two story remaining section divided at the upper floor line into two sections. The east wall will be shipped in one section. The west, two story, facade would be sectioned at the upper floor line. The entire wall circuit can be panelized into 11 or 12 panels with the largest panel (east wall) measuring 24 feet, zero inches (approximately). Extreme care is necessary to preserve the wall panels from damage during dismantling and shippage. Each wall panel will require construction of large timber crates to insure protection from distortion during dismantling and shippage. Rubber or neoprene cushions may need to be placed between the panels and the crate to insure minimal chaffing during transport. The size of the wall panels will be determined by two major criteria: First, the physical dimensions which can be transported via flatbed truck and secondly, by a weight limit of 4,000 pounds. The later restriction is based on the availability of a working crane required to hoist the wall panels on and off the flatbed truck.
Window openings with projecting sills will require crating of sufficient size to provide protection from damage. All doors and operating window sashes will be removed and transported separately. All brackets would be detached, crated and shipped separately. The projecting bay windows would be removed, crated and shipped separately. Following shippage, the wall panels would be unloaded, positioned on their new foundation and positioned in their proper alignment for reconstruction. the
[p. 1] wall panels will be braced and plumbed and stabilized with corner anchors and roof trusses. Sheathing will be added to the roof structure and new shingles applied to protect the interior of the structure.
WOOD REPAIR: The Lester Depot is predominately a wooden structure and as such will require some replacement of original and existing material. Deteriorated material will be examined to determine the potential for salvage and restoration. Some material will require replacement. Replacement material will be selected to match the original material in design size and composition. The magnitude of replacement is anticipated to be relatively small. With the exception of the foundation and the floor system, most of the structure and finishes can be retained and restored. The existing foundation will require replacement at the relocation site. Care will be taken to document the original foundation design and to the degree possible the new foundation will reflect the original design. The present building codes will require alteration of the existing foundation and floor system. Seismic requirements and floor loading criteria require a specific degree of restructuring to provide a safe environment for public assembly. Another area of the wood framing that will require some restructuring is the roof framing. The one story gable roof structure is a series of job-built trusses utilizing common dimensional lumber. Board sheathing with cedar shingles completes the roofing system. In order to meet current seismic requirements it is common practice to use plywood sheathing. It may be required to replace existing sheathing with plywood to develop the seismic diaphragm required. Since the gable roof is exposed within the freight room, it is recommended to retain the existing sheathing and add the plywood sheathing above thereby concealing the plywood sheathing from view. The second story hop roof system is also job-built framing. Individual members may be retained based on their structural condition. Plywood sheathing would replace existing sheathing with no change in the appearance. Other structural requirements will be addressed with the installation of metal fasteners and brackets. These will be concealed within the wall cavities or attic spaces.
SHINGLE ROOFING: The original roofing shingles were either cedar shingles or cedar shakes. Due to the natural deterioration, the roofing has undoubtedly been replaced partially or in total several times during the 98 years of the building existence. The present roofing has deteriorated to the point of necessary replacement. A sampling of various shingles should be retained for potential match in dimension, exposure to weather and grade. These characteristics can be important in the selection of new shingles to be applied to the restored building. Early photographs would also provide information of detailing eaves, ridges and coursing. Total replacement of the roofing is recommended with selection of new shingles based on the information obtained from sources mentioned above,
MORTAR REPLICATION: The masonry chimneys will require new mortar for their reconstruction. Several samples of existing mortar will be analyzed to determine material types and proportions, as well as sand color, joint profiles and any special materials which the original mortar or mortaring techniques employed during the original construction. The mortar analysis and mortar profiles will be recorded and specified within the reconstruction documents. The mortar analysis will provide a menu for replacement mortar during reconstruction with materials (i.e., lime, cement, sand) in matching proportions to the original.
[p. 2] WINDOW SASH: The standard plans, early photographs and existing conditions indicate that most of the original window sash material has survived. Most of the sash material can be repaired and restored to utility. Hardware will require re-conditioning and sash cord required replacement Individual units may require straightening and re-gluing. Sills may require small patching. Generally, most units will require scraping, patching, priming and paint. The operational units will be removed from their frames during the dismantling and shippage.
GLAZING: Most glass in exterior window units is damaged or has been replaced from the original glazing. Few windows retain un-broken glass lights and there is significant evidence that many un-broken units are replacements. The best evidence of potential original glazing is a small interior transom light over a doorway which is located on the second floor at the residence entry. This transom glazing will serve as the model for replacement glazing. The existing transom will be examined for type and thickness and serve as criteria for replacement glazing. Also, older glass, that which shows a degree of variation in thickness will be sought as replacement. Some glazing may be required to meet various building code criteria for safety to the public. This glazing will minimized without causing potential for liabilities to the owner. The characteristic window design of "two over two" or two panes of glass in the upper section over two panes of glass in the lower section of each window will be maintained. The pattern is determined by early photographs, architectural plans of the original building and existing windows with few exceptions. One of these exceptions is the "six over six" window in the western corner of the northern facade. This window is out of character with other windows in its size and configuration. This may indicate that this window was not original. In fact, the standard plans indicate no window in that location.
DOORS AND HARDWARE: There are two door types at the Lester Depot, single leaf hinged doors constructed with four panels and job-built sliding doors at the freight room. Both types of door currently exist at the Lester Depot. The existing doors will be retained, restored and utilized in the restoration. Replacement doors will be fabricated to match existing doors. Existing hardware will be examined, rehabilitated and utilized or replaced with matching material. Replacement hardware will be required in public areas to satisfy life safety requirements. Contemporary hardware which meets current code requirements will be selected on the basis of compatibility with original or existing examples.
DECORATIVE BRACKETS: The east, south and west facades of the Lester Depot retain the original roof brackets. Thirteen of the original twenty are existing and recoverable. Each bracket will be demounted, repaired and re-used within the restoration effort. Each bracket will be cleaned, patched with appropriate wood filler or wood consolidants, treated with preservatives and prepared for painting in the restoration project. Seven original brackets have been removed from the north facade and lost. These will be replaced with replicas using the originals as models. One additional bracket exists at the gable end on the east facade. With cleaning, patching and repair this bracket can be restored and re-used.
SOFFITS: The existing exterior soffits are in relatively good repair. The bead and butt boarding which comprise the soffit material is encrusted with many layers of paint and will require stripping and cleaning before restoration. The original design did not allow for ventilation of the enclosed soffits and will require modification to provide proper ventilation and ensure preservation of the restored structure. Replacement bead and butt boarding may be required in small sections and will require special milling to replicate original material.
[p. 3] PLATFORM: The original platform was removed circa 1947 and replaced. An Ed Nolan photograph on page 89 of "Northern Pacific: Main Street of the Northwest" shows a wooden plank platform, circa 1916. With the building approximately thirty years old, those planks shown in the photograph may be original. The proportions of the figures in the photographs indicate the width of the planks to be approximately 12 inches and set perpendicular to the buildings' exterior walls. Replication of the platform in wooden planks would be appropriate for the North Bend Restoration. Appropriate platform planking would be two or three by 12 pressure treated Douglas Fir fastened to structural timber also pressure treated for longevity. Stainless steel or brass fasteners would also be recommended.
PAINTING: The restored Depot will require re-painting of most surfaces, interior and exterior. Each surface will be scraped and original paint chips will be examined for composition, type and color. A complete color chart will be developed based on original and later painting of the building. The color scheme which best reflect the historic character of the Depot will be established for restoration painting.
INSULATION: The original building did not utilize any form of insulation. In order to meet current energy codes and to reduce the operational cost of heating the building, it is recommended that standard fiberglass batt insulation be added to the exterior walls and that rigid insulation be added to the remainder of the roof area and portions of the attic. The insulation can be installed within the wall cavities, attic and above the roof sheathing in a manner that is concealed from view.
CAULK AND SEALANTS: Caulks and sealants are contemporary material which will reduce heating costs and help preserve the structure from moisture. Paintable caulks and sealants will be utilized in areas that are to be painted and clear materials will be used in areas to be left in a natural state.
REPRODUCTION OF FINIALS: Early photographs depict the presence of roof finials which originally crown the roof. The "standard plans" show designs for two finials, one at the apex of the hip roof on the second story roof and another shown on the gable end of the lower roof. The hip finial was a spire approximately four feet in height. The gable finial was a "rams head" finial approximately one foot in height. Both finials are lost. Reproduction of both finials can be constructed from the drawing provided in the standard plan S-28 series. The replacement finials would be constructed of Polymer Glassfibre Reinforced Cement (P.G.R.C.). The finials will be mold formed from molds constructed according to the drawings of finials shown in the standard plan S-28 series.
INTERIOR WALL FINISHES: The predominant interior finish of the Depot was plaster on wood lath. Due to the relocation of the building and the extensive amount of the existing material which has been disturbed, the only viable solution is to remove and discard the existing plaster and lath. Significant portions of the plaster work have been damaged as evidenced by the application of plywood panels throughout the interior. Replacement of all plaster will also allow for proper and more cost effective installation of utilities and insulation.
[p. 4] The conclusion of this project will bring a restored historic building to the City of North Bend. The depot will compliment the environment of North Bend and serve as a focus to the Puget Sound and Snoqualmie Valley Railroad.
The reconstruction of the depot in North Bend will require additional work to complete the project. beyond the installation of interior finishes, mechanical and electrical systems and exterior platforms, the development of signage, displays of historic artifacts and completion of the Railroad Park must be addressed before the restoration project can be considered completed.
It is reasonable to assume that this ancillary development will require multiple phases to be accomplished. Once the building and all the necessary support systems are completed a program of future development should be pursued to ensure that the restored depot can reach its full potential as a viable resource to the City of North Bend, an attraction to visitors as well as an amenity to the citizens for North Bend.
Total for proposal: $130,551.00
Collection King County Landmarks Commission
With the assistance of Charles Payton, Community Museum Advisor